Thank you for participating in the Library User Satisfaction Survey 2021. The survey was conducted from 7 April to 7 May 2021. A total of 188 responses were received with an overall satisfaction score of 3.99 in a 5-point scale. Over 70% of the respondents were students, including 48% from undergraduate students and 25% from postgraduate students. For details of the respondents’ profiles, please click Respondents.
Highlights of the Survey Results
“Reference Services” receives the highest average score of 4.19 among all the service categories. This is followed by “Access Services” and “Environment”, which got an average score of 4.10 and 4.06 respectively. Among the mean scores of all individual items, “Reference Services – Helpful” (4.28), “Reference Services – Friendly” (4.27), and “Physical Setup – Security & Personal Property” (4.25) ranked top 3.
The Library is grateful to receive the following encouraging remarks from our users:
- You are doing good job pls keep this continue.
- I am appreciative with the WhatsApp function of the Library. I received prompt Homesupport when we were working from home.
- I’m the frequent user of library, the staff are so cooperative and caring. I’m fully satisfied with the services provided by the library.
- Thanks for your patience and kindness.
- In general, thank you for trying your best to make the library as comfortable as possible! Although, there is a long way to go:)
- Thank you for all the work you do. I really enjoy going to the library and the space and the staff are super friendly!
- Very convenient to use WhatsApp for enquiries. Staff respond in a timely manner, are polite and also very helpful in trying to solve issues.
- Library services very good on the whole. Thank you.
- The services for the teachers are very helpful. Thank you very much!
The Library will keep reviewing the existing services and facilities and improving them by providing better services and facilities to support the teaching, learning and research needs.
Comments on Library Renovation
The Library renovation project was commenced in December 2020. Inevitably, the Library users were affected during the renovation works. To collect their views/comments, an open-ended question was set in the survey. Some suggestions were received, such as inquiring about the facilities arrangements after the renovation, requesting more study places, etc. In addition, concerns on the noise level during the renovation works were also received. Please click Comments on Renovation for more details.
The Library appreciated your support in recognizing our efforts which was a motivation for us to improve our services. Inconvenience, noise and dust are inevitable during the renovation period, but we look forward to bringing you a renovated Library with upgraded services and better meet your research, teaching and learning needs.
The survey received a total number of 235 comments from over 50% of respondents. These feedbacks together with the Library’s responses were summarised below.
A. Physical Space and Environment
Users’ Comments: Low temperature in the Library
- Regular checking of the temperature in different locations in the Library will be conducted and the relevant sections and Departments (e.g. Facilities Management Department (FMD)) would be informed for follow-up if needed.
- A new air conditioning system would be installed on the newly renovated 1/F to evenly distribute the cool air as far as possible.
Users’ Comments: Improve the Library environment such as toilet cleanliness and quietness of the Library
- The Library would conduct regular cleaning of the washrooms and report to the FMD in case ad-hoc cleaning is required. All library users should have the responsibility to keep the Library clean.
- New directional signages have been installed in the Library for users to locate different facilities in the Library by summer 2021.
- All library staff and users would be reminded to keep their voices low to avoid affecting others in the Library.
Users’ Comments: Request for a café corner
- A café would be provided in the Library after the renovation.
- A warm water drinking fountain would be provided on each floor of the Library, including the new 24-hour zone.
- Under the COVID19 pandemic, all drinking fountains in the Library were suspended as a precautionary measure. This service would be resumed once the pandemic situation improved.
Users’ Comments: Request for more study places and areas
- Additional space would be provided in the Library after the renovation which could cater for different activities in the Library.
- More study rooms with new presentation devices and individual study areas would also be provided. Details of the new spaces in the Library after the renovation was provided at: https://www.library.ln.edu.hk/en/space/renovation
- The Library conducted some enhancements on the online Room Booking System. All Library related facilities were grouped for easier location in the system menu.
Users’ Comments: Other comments on equipment and facilities such as replacing carpets
- All carpets on 2/F and 3/F of the Library has been replaced.
- Floor vinyl would be used in the newly renovated 1/F for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- More versatile and flexible furniture would also be available in 2021/22 in the Library.
B. Collection Discovery and Resources
Users’ Comments: The search interface and functions on 1-Search
- The Library conducted constant reviews and updates on the 1-Search interface and functions. Fine-tunes was performed on the searching results in order to show the availability of e-resources more accurately.
- The interface of the 1-Search has also been revamped to make it more user-friendly and the key functions are more eye-catching to users.
- The Library sometimes found that the 1-Search may not be working in a high performance occasionally. Since the 1-Search system is a cloud-based platform that is now shared with 7 other local UGC-funded university libraries, the performance may be affected by many factors outside the control of the Library. The Library has also repeatedly referred the slowness of the system to the vendor for improvement. They have fixed some issues and there are still some outstanding issues.
- The Library highly recommends users to join the Library workshops or to watch the recorded workshops, to learn the skills/techniques in using 1-Search and other resources more effectively and efficiently.
- If any issues were found when using the using 1-Search, please report to the Library via firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp/Signal/phone at 2616 8586. The Library will take immediate follow-up actions.
Users’ Comments: Increase printed books and ebook collections
- In 2020/2021, over 200,000 ebooks (including Chinamaxx, 尚儀近代華文書籍, JSTOR, Gale and Taylor & Francis) were added to the Library collection.
- Despite the fact that the Library has adopted an e-preferred collection development strategy, over 1,100 printed books were added to the Library in 2020/2021. Some new language books, non-core subject titles, award-winning and famous fiction were acquired and would continue to acquire from time to time.
- The Library always welcomes any recommendations of books in either print or electronic versions.
Users’ Comments: Enhance databases and research resources
- In 2020/2021, the Library has improved its e-resources by subscribing to 4 new databases, including the British Union of Fascists and I/B/E/S Guidance, and providing free access to 18 electronic resources. More new databases would also be subscribed soon.
- Regarding journals, the Library would conduct journal review exercises with academic Departments annually. In 2020/2021, the Library subscribed to over 40 new journals in accordance with academic needs. The Library also upgraded the subscription of a journal database (Emerald), in which 190 new journals were added to the existing package. Moreover, a new journal database - Airiti Library has been subscribed to provide access to over 2,000 journals from Taiwan.
- Regarding the ebook databases, publishers would limit the download quota of the ebooks due to copyright issues. The Library would discuss with the publishers the possibility to increase the download quota, especially for the titles with high usage in order to provide better access to the ebooks resources.
C. Services and Facilities
Users’ Comments: access to and/or check out the Library books
- Some library users commented on the prolonged waiting time for reserved materials. Currently, books under reserve would be kept on holdshelf for 4 days. The Library would review the arrangement and consider acquiring additional popular titles with a high request rate in order to speed up the circulation.
- The Library would also check the holdshelf regularly to ensure the books were properly managed.
- Normally, it took about 1 to 2 weeks to process the Interlibrary Loan of book request in local libraries. While for the overseas books, it will take a longer time of about 2 to 4 weeks. Under the pandemic, most of the overseas libraries suspended the Interlibrary Loan services. The service would resume gradually as the pandemic situation was improved.
- Some library users commented that it was difficult to locate books in the Library. This may cause by the temporary relocation of library materials during the renovation. The Library relocated most of the high usage books to 1/F and 3/F. The bookshelves would be relocated to their original location after the re-opening of 1/F. Moreover, the Library would conduct shelf reading exercises regularly to ensure the books were arranged in order and the library users could easily find the books from the shelves in accordance with the call numbers.
Users Comments: Provide more equipment and facilities
- The Library has provided common stationery for all library users, such as punch and stapler in public areas.
- After the renovation, the Library additional wall plate with a USB port on the 1/F for library users to charge their own devices.
- The Library would also acquire other facilities, such as computing facilities and reading tables in order to meet the needs of the library users.
- In addition, the Library would conduct a review of the lighting on 1/F and 3/F and install a tube light to serve those areas with insufficient lighting.
Users’ Comments: printing service issues
- The printer service has some error
- Please ensure that the scanners and printers that were in the printing room on the first floor were replaced by effective ones. And I like RICOH MP 7502 very much. RICOH MP 7502 has physical buttons that allowed me to print things faster.
- The printers are not convenient enough to use.
- The Library would check the printing facilities at least several times a day to avoid faulty and paper jams.
- For printer location, charges and user guide, please visit the library website for more details: https://www.library.ln.edu.hk/en/space/facilities/printcopyscan.
Users’ Comments: Extend Library opening hours
- After the renovation, a 24-hour study area would be provided for library users. The Library would review and extend its opening hours if necessary.
- The library home page has today’s opening hours. There is no need for users to check anywhere in the website or the Library to make advance announcements.
- Interested users may check the opening hours of the Library in this website: https://www.library.ln.edu.hk/en/use/hours/open or from the notice posted outside the library entrance.
Users’ Comments: Library staff service
- Our library staff at the counter would handle most of the general enquiries. In case of any complicated issues, our staff would seek assistance from professional librarians. The library users could also make use of different communication channels, such as WhatsApp, Signal, phone and email for any enquiries.
- The library users could make use of the Self Checkout machine and service counter for checking out library materials. Book drops were also available at the campus main entrance, outside the Library and at the SEK building.
- The Library is delivering the books in PDF to the library users in accordance with the pledge. Sometimes more processing time is required due to the license terms of the subscribed books. The Joint University Librarians Advisory Committee (JULAC) would explore the document delivery service of eBook and book chapters among the 8 local UGC-funded University libraries if license permits.
Users’ Comments: Additional computing equipment in the Library (both hardware and software)
- In order to extend the computer workspace, the ConnectMe service has been introduced. The library users could connect their own laptop with the computer monitors in the Library by using the provided HDMI cable.
- After the renovation, more computers with larger displays would be installed on 1/F. Adobe software would be installed in the new PC and Mac workstations on 1/F.
Users’ Comments: Suggestions on Library workshops, events and activities
- The Library is committed to offering different types of events to enrich users’ learning experiences and promote good reading habits in the University. The Library would seek opportunities from different Universities and external organisations to co-organise events and activities to widen the vision of our staff and students.
- The Library would organise the library workshops in more sessions and different timeslots to encourage more participants to attend. Also, most of the library workshops would be recorded for all Lingnan users to revisit the workshops at their convenience.
D. Library Renovation
Users’ Comments: Noise generated from library renovation and the future facilities
- The renovation would be completed and reopen for Term 1 2021/22. The Library has closely coordinated with Registry and CO to minimize the noise and impact to the classes. It was planned to complete most of the noisy work in summer. However, there were delays and some construction works are still going on. The contractor has been reminded to avoid noisy work during class time or schedule the work on weekends.
- The entrance on 2/F would be permanently closed after the completion of the renovation as the physical setting in the Library would be changed afterwards. The second floor would be furnished as study area.
- An internal lift would be installed inside the Library for barrier access to different floors of the Library. The entrance on 2/F is no longer necessary.
Part I - Satisfaction with Library Services
Reference Services - these services include answering questions of all types and complexity, providing orientations to the Library, delivering training, and conducting online searches.
1. Generally speaking, to what extent are reference services:
|Reference Services||5 (Most)||4||3||2||1 (Least)||Not Sure|
In particular, to what extent are you satisfied with the following Information services we are providing:
|Information Services||5 (Most)||4||3||2||1 (Least)||Not Sure|
|BookTalks/ Seminars/ Exhibitions||44||67||27||12||4||34|
|WhatsApp/ Chat Reference||42||42||31||5||9||59|
|Research Consultation Service||42||49||26||10||6||55|
Circulation Services- these services include circulating materials in and out of the Library, processing reserve materials, searching for missing items and management of the stack and reading areas.
2. Generally speaking, to what extent are circulation services:
|Circulation Services||5 (Most)||4||3||2||1 (Least)||Not Sure|
In particular, to what extent are you satisfied with the following services we are providing:
|Specific Circulation Services||5 (Most)||4||3||2||1 (Least)||Not Sure|
|HKALL/ Interlibrary Loan Services||66||64||25||4||7||22|
|Book Reserve Services||74||53||23||6||11||22|
Part II - Satisfaction with Information Resources
3. Generally speaking, to what extent are you satisfied with the following information resources:
|Information Resources||5 (Most)||4||3||2||1 (Least)||Not Sure|
|Printed Book Collection||56||74||27||12||8||11|
|Newspaper / Magazines||46||61||28||13||6||34|
|Printed Journal Collection||41||68||31||9||10||29|
|AV/ Microform/MLLC Materials||39||58||28||8||8||47|
|Digital Commons(Theses, Dissertations, Research and Journal papers from students and academic departments)||54||74||17||8||9||26|
Part III - Satisfaction with Physical Setup
Satisfaction with physical setup can mean a number of things such as comfort, ease of usage, convenient location, equipment and furniture availability, etc.
4. Generally speaking, to what extent are you satisfied with:
|Equipment||5 (Most)||4||3||2||1 (Least)||Not Sure|
|Individual Study Rooms||45||60||16||12||10||45|
|Faculty and Postgraduate Study Rooms||44||44||23||12||6||59|
|Single Study Carrels||42||60||25||8||10||43|
|Postgraduate Common Room (3/F)||45||42||23||10||6||62|
|Air-conditioning & Ventilation||69||70||18||12||10||9|
|Photocopiers / Scanners||63||74||16||5||6||24|
|AV / MLLC Equipment||45||55||25||4||7||52|
|Other Equipment Furniture||65||65||28||3||6||21|
|Security & Personal Property||85||70||14||4||6||9|