The Library’s online books publication service offers support for academic staff and students who are interested in publishing their own books online. The Library will act as “electronic distributor” for the books and will provide a secure archive for the content.
Types of books valid for the service
- Book edited and published by Lingnan University/Lingnan’s Departments/Centres
- Lingnan has to be the sole/co-publishing entity of the books which owns the copyright to host the content online.
- All book hosting requests must seek the approval from co-author(s) if requester is not the sole author of the book.
- It is encouraged that books be open access compliant although exceptions can be made if necessary.
- Authors of books retain copyright to their works; however they must agree to deposit their works for permanent archiving in DC@Lingnan, and the content will only be removed for legal reasons or in other special circumstances.
Design of Online Book page:
The online book page will adopt the style of DC@Lingnan, which includes default design elements such as DC services navigation tabs and site sidebar.
Proposal Process and Timeline
- Contact Library’s Scholarly Communication Team to set a meeting about book hosting.
- Provide source file of the book (either digital/printed format).
- The book hosting request will be sent to bepress and they will launch the online book page.
- After the site is launched, you will need to review the metadata fields and ask for customization if necessary.
- The Library’s Scholarly Communication Team will help to post the content into the new online book page.
- The average time to create a book page is within one to two months.
Responsibilities of Book page requester:
- Provide book’s source file (either digital/printed format).
- Seek consent from co-authors (if applicable).
- Review metadata fields of the launched page.