Mobile menu

The KCR and the MTR Merge; A Walled Village Bites the Dust; Easter - Not a Good Time for Rabbits (14 Apr 2006)

Printer-friendlyPrinter-friendly

It's official: the Kowloon Canton Railway, and the Mass Transit Railway are to merge. Under the terms of the merger, announced on Tuesday, the MTR Corporation will be granted the service concession to operate the KCR system for 50 years. But why not an outright buyout? And is the merger the best deal for the Hong Kong public? The fate of Nga Tsin Wai Village, the only traditional walled village remaining in an urban area, has been decided. It is headed for the chopping block. Cheung Kong (Holdings) started buying land in the village almost 20 years ago. It already owns around 70%. The Urban Renewal Authority has been negotiating to persuade the villagers who own the remaining 30% to give up their property. The site will be redeveloped with high-rise buildings. Easter is not necessarily a good time for Easter Bunnies. Almost a hundred pet rabbits are dumped in Hong Kong every year. They've been found in parks, on hillsides and golf links, even in refuse bins. Others are not well looked after by their owners. They are cheap pets to buy, but owners often underestimate how complicated it can be to keep them, and they often don't want to pay vet bills.

Program: 
The Pulse
Publish Date: 
Friday, April 14, 2006
Station: 
RTHK
To access "Lingnan Access Only" Video programmes (e.g. Local TV Programmes on Demand) using thrid-party ISP, you need to use Lingnan University SSL VPN service. For more information on installation of the service, please visit Lingnan University VPN Connection