- ASC Materials are non-circulating, but would be available for access within the Archives Room upon request in advance.
- No food or drink (in any kind, including bottle water) would be allowed.
- Use our materials with care and caution. Only pencils may be used in the Archives Room. All ink-based pens are not allowed.
- Maintain all materials in the order as they are borrowed.
- Subject to material-specific restriction and with prior agreement with the Library, visitors in general are allowed to take record of the material with proper devices (e.g. such as photocopiers and digital cameras), under the accepted “Fair Dealing” practice, in any format for private, research and educational purpose. (Reproduction fee may be imposed).
Please note that obtaining reproduction copies does not convey the permission to publish. Publication of direct quotations, excerpts, and images from any portions of ASC materials requires the permission of the Lingnan University Library. Please send the requests to email@example.com. In some cases, the Archives claims only physical ownership of the materials in its collections. Persons wishing to publish such material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of the copyright holder. More details are available at Access Permission and Copyrights.
The University recognizes the importance of the proper retention and disposition of all historically significantly University records. Approved by University Administrative and Planning Committee (UAPC) on 21 March 2016, the Archives and Records Management Policy (ARMP) provides a framework to the consistent and effective record management across the University. ARMP is further supplemented with Records Retention Schedules for the most commonly-found University Records to assist in implementing the details.
- Access Permission
ASC grants access to our collections subject to University policies or restrictions imposed by donating entities / rights owner.
In general, materials in ASC Collections are open for research to all members of Lingnan community and other scholars worldwide. Selective records with enduring value would be digitized and made available for online access via Lingnan's Digital Repository platform.
Access to archival holdings of Lingnan University, including administrative records, records with privacy or confidentiality concerns, or records with restrictions imposed by Deed of Gift, however, is restricted. Users are advised to refer to the access condition indicated in the finding aids or to contact staff from ASC for details.
- Reproduction and Publishing
- Un-restricted records can be reproduced under the accepted "Fair Use" practices, in any format for private, research or educational purpose, upon request. (Reproduction fee may be imposed).
- Obtaining reproduction copies does not convey permission to publish. Publication of direct quotations, excerpts, and images from any portions of our archival collections requires the permission of the Lingnan University Archives. Please send requests for permission to publish to firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, the Archives claims only physical ownership of the materials in its collections. Persons wishing to publish such material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of the copyright holder.
For published materials in ASC, including books, articles or newspapers, please follow typical citation rules in appropriate style (e.g. Chicago Manual of Style, MLA or APA).
When citing archival materials, the following elements should be included to acknowledge the sources and locations of the materials being cited:
- Repository where the item is held. Example: Lingnan University Archives
- Collection in which the item is found. Example: Dr. Lee Sui-ming's records
- Series in which the item is found. Example: Lingnan Collection.
- Folder title in which the item is found (if available). Example: Manuscripts.
- The document itself, including page, section, or date information, where necessary. Example: A list of subscriptions due to College, undated.