In addition to HKALL, all staff, postgraduates and UGC-funded undergraduate students of the University can obtain study and research materials that are not available within our Library, including books, journal articles, book chapters etc. by using the Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL). The Library will fill the requests from both other local and overseas libraries. Please refer to the following for details:
- Services Guidelines
- Free Request Quota
- How to Place the Request
- The Turnaround Time
- Copyright Restriction
- How to Renew ILL Book Items
|User Groups||Journal articles from UGC libraries||Books from UGC libraries||Books not available at UGC libraries||Journal articles not available at UGC libraries||Free loan quota (all types combined) in one academic term|
|Staff and Postgraduate Students (UGC-funded)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||100|
|UGC-funded Final Year and Non-final Year Students / Non UGC-funded Postgraduate Students||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||10|
|Lingnan University Self-funded Students||Yes||No||No||Yes||10|
|Eligible LIFE Students||Yes||No||No||Yes||10|
For staff, postgraduates and final year students, please place requests through the Lingnan University Library Interlibrary Loan System.
When the requested library material is available, you will receive an email notification.
- For journal articles or book chapters which are in PDF format, you can simply download the file from web link listed in the notification email or login to the ILL system.
- For ILL book items, they will be delivered to the Service Counter for checkout. Staff can request the Library to deliver the requested library materials to their Department within the University by using the Office Delivery Service.
In normal circumstances, this service is free of charge. However, the Library reserves the right to charge for expensive items obtained from overseas libraries. In those circumstances, the user will be notified before the request proceeds.
Requests for book loans available in local libraries will normally take 1-2 weeks; overseas requests will normally require 1-3 months. Users will be notified when the requested items arrive.
Please place a renewal request through the Lingnan University Interlibrary Loan System at least 2 working days before the due date. Renewal will not be accepted if it is an overdue item.
Whether an item can be renewed is determined by the host library. Users will be notified by email no matter whether the renewal request is accepted or not. Items not accepted for renewal must be returned to the Library on time.
1. Click “View/Renew Checked Out Items” under the “View” menu on the left
2. Click the transaction number of the checked-out item you would like to renew
3. Click “Renew Request” on top of the checked-out item